Whipped cream is the perfect accompaniment to our favourite desserts. Dolloped onto warm and rich chocolate cake, lovingly adorning apple slice or spread across a fresh pavlova to be decorated with fresh fruit.
It’s so delicious, so simple and yet sometimes deceivingly tricky to achieve in perfect form. Take cream slightly too far and it will curdle, under whip and it will melt sadly into your dessert.
These tips from the Devondale Farmers Family Baking Book will ensure that your whipped cream is more than an addition – it will steal the spotlight and achieve perfection each and every time.
Tips to achieve the perfect whipped cream
- If you don’t have an electric mixer, whisk cream in a large, deep bowl. Always keep a close eye on the machine as there is a fine line between runny and over beaten cream.
- If you have whipped cream in the fridge and need it a little softer or have overbeaten cream slightly, just add a little extra liquid cream and fold through until desired consistency.
- Make quick and easy filling or icings by adding flavourings such as melted chocolate, vanilla bean paste or lemon curd. For a decadent chocolate ganache, bring 1/2 cup cream to the boil. Pour over 300g chocolate of choice and stir until melted and smooth. Stand, stirring occasionally until ganache is of a spreadable consistency before icing over a cake.
- Leftover whipped cream? Simply fold through some cooled melted chocolate and now you have chocolate mousse
Delicious ways to flavour whipped cream
Cream is delicious in plain form, a touch of sugar and it sings – but when paired with an extra ingredient or two, whipped cream can be the star of the show.
- Easy and fuss free – add a teaspoon of vanilla or almond essence, a touch of rose syrup, or a hint of orange essence to create a flavour infused cream
- Simple but classic – add the seeds of a vanilla bean stalk to a batch of cream for an elegant flavour
- Lovely and tangy – add a teaspoon of grated lemon, lime or orange rind to your cream for a zesty addition
- Fresh and fruity – fold two tablespoons of raspberry or strawberry coulis through a batch of cream for a berry flavoured cream
Perfect recipe pairings
Cream brings various textures and flavours together in sync for a well rounded sweet treat that will leave you wanting ‘just one more slice’. Get inspired with these ideas for using cream as the perfect accompaniment:
- Perfect Pavlova topped with whipped cream
- Rich chocolate cake dolloped with fresh whipped cream
- Apple slice drizzled with cream
To get your copy of these recipes and more great baking ideas in the Devondale Farmers Baking Book – click here.