Cauliflower is one of the cheapest ways to get all your nutrients this season. Plus it’s the ideal veggie smuggler that can be beautifully disguised in mac and cheese, magically blended into cauliflower rice mashed into a pizza base or transformed into delicious fritters.
Immune boosting cauliflower
Cauliflowers are a cruciferous vegetable (don’t worry, you don’t need to pronounce it) so it’s very high in vitamins and antioxidants and other amazing nutrients that will help give your immune system a boost during winter.
How to pick
Cauliflower is available all year round but is in peak right now. When selecting, ensure that the florets are tightly packed together and firm to touch and there is no greyish tinge to the florets. Look for leaves that are lively.
How to store
For maximum quality when cooking with cauliflower, use this vegetable within five days of purchasing. Make sure to keep it in the crisper section of your fridge for optimum freshness. For extra convince, pre-cut cauliflower into small florets and store these in an airtight container in the fridge, so it’s ready to go when you are.
How to cut cauliflower into florets
- Using a large knife, cut the cauliflower into quarters.
- Remove the stem of the cauliflower by slicing from the top of the stem to the bottom.
- Large florets should fall away from the stem once removed. You can then cut these into floret sizes of your choosing.
- 1 Serve = 75 g of cauliflower (or about 8 florets)
- 1 serve provides you with 10% of the RDI (recommended daily intake) of Fibre, Potassium, Folate and Vitamin K
- 1 serve provides you with 25% of the RDI of Vitamin C
Cauliflower cheese has got to be the ultimate cauliflower recipe. It’s creamy, cheesy, comforting and is the perfect side dish to pair with a table of moorish food at a family occasion.
This may have been the recipe that started our love affair with cauliflower but it certainly doesn’t end there. There are so many great ways to use cauliflower in cooking. Here are some delicious and unique ways we have been cooking with cauliflower.
Get the recipe for One-Pan Butter Chicken with Cauliflower