Along with watermelon, is there a more refreshing fruit (yes fruit, not veg) than cucumbers? Especially fresh and crisp from the fridge. But according to current thinking, we’ve been storing cucumbers in the wrong place. What the food? Yep. Read on for the best way to store cucumbers so that they stay fresher for longer.
Plus we’ve also uncovered 5 great reasons why you should be including cucumbers in your diet, including the recipes to try them in.
How to choose a cucumber
- Be sure to choose a cucumber without blemishes or soft spots. This can indicate they have started to rot. Look for a cucumber with dark green colouring and without any yellow spots.
- You should avoid any cucumbers that have wrinkles, this shows the have been stored for too long at high temperatures and have lost their moisture.
Best place to store cucumbers
- Surprisingly, cucumbers should be stored at room temperature – not in the fridge. When stored at room temperature, cucumbers thrive and last longer. When stored in the fridge they are prone to become water-soaked, start pitting and see accelerated decay.
- But if you wish to chill your cucumber, limit to no more than 3 days. Also to note that cucumbers are highly sensitive to ethylene, a natural gas that causes certain foods to ripen very quickly.
- Keep your cucumbers on the counter, but be sure to keep them seperate from bananas, tomatoes, melons, which are all high ethylene producers.
Amazing health benefits
- Hydration: With more than 90% water content, cucumbers are the perfect fruit to reach for when you’re thirsty for food.
- Keep things moving: Combine the water content with its insoluble fibre content and you’ve got a great recipe for regularity.
- Bone health: High in vitamin K which can help to increase calcium absorption and look after your bones.
- Weight Loss: Low in calories but high in nutrients and water density, add cucumber to salads or keep handy as a snack.
- Anti Cancer: Cucumbers contain cucurbitacins which have been shown to reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Refreshing cucumber recipes to try now