Porridge has come a long way since its early days, when it was once identified as an uninteresting, gloopy breakfast dish. More recently, this pantry staple has risen to become an on-trend, nourishing breakfast choice that many cafes now serve during winter – usually topped with an appetising array of fresh fruit, mixed nuts and a good dollop of yoghurt. Porridge toppings have now become a serious, creative art form that home cooks participate in.
Gone are the days of boring breakfasts. Whether you’re wanting to add excitement to your daily porridge bowl, or haven’t yet experienced the deliciousness of a well-topped porridge, the following porridge toppings can help bring your morning routine to life – and can also add some extra nutritional value to your day.
Whether a simple brown sugar topping, a dollop of fresh yoghurt teamed with delicious berries and banana, or perhaps a heaped tablespoon of almond butter suits your fancy, porridge can be a fantastic way to start your day.
Delicious porridge toppings you’ll want to try out tomorrow morning …
- Nuts: add a blend of raw nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, pecans or pistachios for an extra crunch.
- Nut butter: peanut butter and almond butter can make satisfying toppings to add to your morning porridge. For extra creaminess, and a rich nutty flavour, nut butters work perfectly with oats.
- Jam: if you don’t have fresh fruit on hand, jam is another good porridge toppings idea to add some decadent sweetness to your oats.
- Yoghurt: adding a dollop of your favourite yoghurt brings another delicious flavour to your porridge, plus it pairs perfectly with fruit and nuts.
- Fresh fruit: naturally, fresh fruit is an obvious choice for topping a bowl of porridge. Bananas, berries, kiwi fruit, apple, rhubarb and pears make fantastic flavour combinations when paired with oats. Why not try poaching some fruit for extra flavour?
- Dried Fruit: dried fruit is another option for adding an element of sweetness, and chewy textures, to your oats.
- Granola: crunchy granola is also another good way to add some crunchiness to your morning provisions.
- Cinnamon: for an extra bit of spice on your porridge oats, a sprinkle of cinnamon is all you need.
- Chia seeds: chia seeds add a good source of fibre, plus texture. Because they expand, you can feel fuller for longer.
- Maple syrup: to sweeten up your oats, maple syrup is a delicious choice. Keep it simple with a drizzle of maple syrup on plain porridge, or layer a little over other toppings you enjoy. You decide!
- Honey: those who don’t love maple might like to add extra sweetness with honey. Perfect for pouring over fruit, or on its own.
- Brown sugar: a classic and traditional porridge topper, brown sugar is a naughty-but-nice topping to add to your oats. When sprinkled on to your porridge, the brown sugar will create an irresistibly delicious caramel coating on your oats.
More breakfast ideas for porridge lovers
This feature contains a mix of content from third party content partners and our own opinions.