Crisp white panelled cabinetry, carrara marble bench tops and incredible kitchen appliances fit for a chef… It’s not hard for us to day dream about our ultimate kitchen. After all, renditions of this space have been pinned into our dream kitchen board on Pinterest more times than we care to share.
While we may not yet have the luxury dream kitchen, we do have one we love. And collectively, our renovating experience and love of cooking has given us equipped us with some wisdom…
So, when it comes to re-designing a kitchen or simply giving yours a re-fresh, these are our top tips for combating those common renovating mistakes:
1. Don’t underestimate the importance of colour and texture
- All white everything can work wonderfully in the right space with plenty of natural light, but, if you don’t have a large budget, it can make your space look stark.
- Even if you want to stick to white cabinetry and bench tops, pick a splash back with a little colour. Colour doesn’t have to mean bright red, but could be something like shades of grey. Alternatively, pick a splash back with some texture.
- Think about your finishes. Be careful when choosing all gloss finishes, as this can be overwhelming to the eye
2. Understand your families needs
- Some families need an extra large dishwasher, others a double oven. Think about how you use your kitchen, and capitalise on these needs
- While a butlers pantry is fabulous for some, others prefer to have a larger pantry that is integrated into their kitchen so that they can prepare and wash up in the main space
3. Don’t skip over the detail
- It can be tempting to finish the big elements in a kitchen (cabinetry and bench top) and then forget about the rest with simple handles and tapware, but these smaller elements can make a huge difference
- If budget is stopping you from adding the extra detail, think thrifty. These days you can purchase lovely pendants for cheap, and even order bespoke handles and knobs from places like Etsy
4. Buy good-quality appliances that suit your style
- Quality large and small kitchen appliances can make a huge different in a kitchen, and will make your space fun to work in!
- Particularly with small appliances, you can pick ones that suit the style of your kitchen
- The Breville Luxe Range is a fabulous range for doing this, as the quality of the appliances means they will be long lasting, and their gorgeous aesthetic will give your kitchen an extra dreamy feel
5. Style your kitchen, but don’t go overboard
- It’s very easy to get carried away with knick knacky styling pieces. A mortar and pestle here, multiple cookbooks there, and a shelf with unnecessary bits and pieces, but these can have an adverse effect in making your kitchen look beautiful
- Stick to a few simple pieces; a nice piece of artwork, your favourite cookbook on a stand, and other useful items that add to your kitchens functionality
Once you are set-up in your dream kitchen… Have a go at some of these recipes. You are sure to have fun creating them with stunning appliances
*DISCLAIMER: Breville is a contributing recipe Partner at myfoodbook.com.au. This feature includes a mix of content sourced from Breville and our own opinions. Find out more information about Breville.